Tuesday, July 14, 2009

De-romanticizing the rain

I am getting pretty annoyed with people who keep putting forth their undying love for the rain. It makes me feel that they are pretentiously projecting themselves as die-hard romantics.

Let me put a disclaimer first - I respect need for rain, it is a direct source of water and an indirect source of food. Somehow, I need to consume both food and water everyday. Hence, I fully recognize the need for rain.

Having said that, I still do not like when it rains simply because it makes me lazy, disrupts travel plans, makes the ground mucky, makes me want to pee frequently and worst of all, the concept of hygienic surroundings goes for a toss.

I have not even mentioned electricity and water supply issues! A bad monsoon in Bombay still means a lot of rains and floods and yet less water supply. Frequent electrical outages are not that uncommon.

One more problem that I have which I'm sure you'll point at me or this blog and laugh is that my craving for tea increases during the rain. I just feel like having tea in damp surroundings somehow. I am trying to reduce my tea intake now and the rains are not helping.

Those who live in Bombay and who keep prattling about "loving to walk in the rain" and all such romantic cowcrap also have to go through similar problems as me which makes me annoyed at their pretenses even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment