Monday, July 20, 2009

F1-race, idlis and Angelina Jolie

I can imagine the contorted look on your face after reading the title. Those with an unnecessarily over-active brain like mine must also be trying to find a link between the three entities in the title. I am writing this blog to exemplify the concepts of tolerance and independent thinking. Now the over-active brainy nerds must be all at sea now that I have added two concepts to the three entities.

So before your brains explode, let me explain - In spite of most Indians being crazy fans of the three entities, I am not one of them. I have my own independent thinking and hence not joined the bandwagon. However, the concept of tolerance for my views and choices goes for a toss when people cannot believe what they hear when I tell them about it. I will demonstrate their intolerance in the paragraphs below.

Firstly F-1. My friend once got mortally offended by the fact that I do not know who Juan Pablo Montoya is. He told me I lived in some parallel universe if I don't know him. I'm glad we were chatting on the net and not face to face when I told him I neither like nor follow F-1, otherwise there would have been some violent wrangling from his side. Come to think of it, I'm not a keen follower of regular cars on the road too. I don't drool when I pass by an Audi showroom. Let's face it, I am not turned on by cars and would appreciate if people got off my back about it. I don't pester them by saying "How can you like F-1? Don't you find it funny when those commentators talk really fast? If you are getting a hard-on by looking at a hummer, you have issues!" - I'd like to say all that but I don't because I believe in independent thinking!

Now let me come to idli. Many people have expressed amazement at the fact that I do not like idli. Their standard response - "But it is so soft! What is there not to like? Everyone likes it but you!". Even cowdung is soft for that matter. It is sour, chewy and does not have any effect on my taste buds (idli not cowdung). Unfortunately, the idli has been elevated to such a status that people do not buy the argument and consider me a spoilt idiot who rejects such a cheap, simple and healthy snack. The fact that I like dosa does not pacify them. Come to think of it, the gujarati adaptation of idli - the dhokla is something I dislike even more. I hope I do not get ostracized from the Gujarati community.

Finally, Angelina Jolie. I normally do not criticize other people's choices because, like I said, I believe in independent thinking. However, let me say this, she does not seem human. How can guys be turned on by that creature is beyond my understanding.

There are other entities also which I do not like and do not force myself to like them because of social pressure. One of them is hip-hop, I intend to dedicate one whole blog to this utterly lousy excuse for music. The others are Aishwarya Rai, Johnny Lever, Barclays Premiere League, Popcorn, etc.

Live and Let Live !!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I like popcorn and hip hop. There, i've said it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind it as long as you don't force me to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont know how exactly i came across your blog...but have already read about 4 posts back2back...Saved me from the drudgery of a monotonous day at work where id mostly be refreshing my fb page:)cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. my kid bro has shifted to mumbai today and i was looking for some blogs on mumbai just to understand how it is (m a delhiite) my bro shifted smwhere in andheri dats where his office is .. m still worried hw mumbai is gonna treat him 4 d next 1 yr .
    p.s this has got nothing to do wid ur blogs i share some of ur thoughts and i understand how ppl can actually drrol on useless stufff (read ppl )

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he is living in Andheri West - he will become very filmy and if it is Andheri East - he will become a desi daaruholic.

    Otherwise, you don't need to worry - we Bombayites may seem like zombies or worker ants who don't give a damn but deep inside, we are nice, helpful people!

    ReplyDelete